Rico Austin may be “just a tire guy,” but he has just published his 8th book, showcasing a solid storytelling ability that draws upon his imagination and a number of rather interesting life experiences.
He was just honored by The Author’s Show as one of “50 Great Writers You Should be Reading.”
An 18-year veteran of the commercial tire (TBR and OTR) industry, Rico currently serves as western regional sales manager for Double Coin. When he’s not working with Double Coin dealers, Austin is banging on the keyboard, producing tomes with such titles as My Bad Tequila and his newest – BAJA LOCO, 4 Racing Days & Tequila Nights on the NORRA Mexican 1000.
My Bad Tequila, Rico’s first book published in 2010, was number one for the eKindle version in its genre on Amazon.com and very well received. It is currently being considered as a screenplay for the big screen. The Oregonian said, "Fun, self-indulgent non fiction with a turn around every page. I've had a MY BAD TEQUILA kind of day!"
Another reviewer said, "My Bad Tequila" is 80% true and 20% fiction. Much of the truth is easy to figure out, but there's enough question....'mystery' that leaves you thinking . . . long after finishing the novel.”
Rico is the oldest of five boys and says he grew up in an area (southwestern Idaho) that was ripe for several adventures for him, his four brothers and numerous cousins. His adventures then and since have served as inspiration and source material for his books. Here’s a small sampling:
- The summer before graduating from Grand Canyon University, Rico went to Vilnius, Lithuania, and taught English as a second language.
- While attending Staffordshire University in England, Rico started on the American Football Team for the Staffordshire Stallions. He also played football at Boise State University.
- He did a cameo appearance on the TV show Baywatch. He played the role of a drug lord on a huge yacht in the “Night of the Dolphin” episode.
- Rico has earned his Ph.D. in Tequila and is a “Tequila Connoisseur.” There are less than 200 people on the globe who have this designation and title.
- For his latest book, Rico competed with 1st place driver Jim Riley in the NORRA Mexican 1000 BAJA off-road race which finished in old town, San Jose del Cabo, Baja.
You get the idea – the guy has a pretty adventurous spirit!
The creativity, enthusiasm and attention to detail that have helped Rico become a successful author have also served him well in the tire industry. His dealer customers really enjoy working with him.
“I feel very fortunate to work for a company such as Double Coin which values its employees and their interests or hobbies outside the work place,” he says. “I have the perfect position working as a sales manager for the Western Region as I can work during the day traveling throughout my territory, visiting customers whom I view also as my friends, and spend a couple of my evenings a week in the hotel room writing of past and new adventures. I’d like to thank my management of Mike Yang and Walt Weller and the entire Double Coin team for my success as a tire sales representative and for their support of my writing.”
Rico is happily married to a graphic artist from Minnesota and they make their home in the "Land of the Sun" Scottsdale, AZ. Here's some more info about him and his books in Annette Snyder’s popular blog of "50 Authors from 50 States."
He and his wife Connie enjoy snorkeling, hiking, hanging by their swimming pool and sipping on a cold cerveza or margarita blended with Rico's favorite TEQUILA on the beaches of Mexico.
Rico may be “just a tire guy” as he is identified on his latest book cover. But he leads a pretty darn interesting life and takes his readers along for the ride!
Please click below if you would like to learn more about Double Coin Tires!